Welcome to Beer Tastings, a series in which Utah Beer News highlights an interesting (and tasty) local brew. This time: Stonewall Sour Saison from Hopkins Brewing. What are you drinking? Let us know!
Beer Tastings: Stonewall Sour Saison
Hopkins Brewing first brewed its Stonewall Sour Saison in 2019 to celebrate Utah Pride. Other than a collaboration it did with Salt Flats for the Utah Brewer Guild Festival, this beer was Hopkins’ first sour.
Chad Hopkins, head brewer, always had planned to brew it again this year for the June festivities. But when his brewery — and all others in the state — were forced to close to dine-in customers to help slow the spread of coronavirus, he decided to get a jump on it.
“I brewed this one while we were closed,” he says. “I had some ingredients and yeast ready to go, so let’s get this thing going ahead of time.”
Stonewall Sour Saison is an easy-drinker for warmer months ahead. It’s a pleasant 3.6% ABV, meaning more than one is almost required. It’s light but still full of flavor. It features local red wheat malt from Solstice Malt, as well as flaked oats and rye.
Cascade hops, coriander, and orange peel are added in the whirlpool to give the beer a lemon-zest tartness. The Saison yeast offers some funky, earthy character to a summer sipper. The sourness is subtle but it’s just enough to perk up your tastebuds.
Stonewall Sour Saison Stats
- Brewery: Hopkins Brewing
- ABV: 3.6%
- Serving Style: 32-ounce crowler
- Date Tasted: May 6, 2020
- Purchase Location: Hopkins Brewing
- Availability: Crowlers to go from Hopkins Brewing in Sugar House (and on draft when the taproom reopens)
Virtual Tastings: Episode 2
Utah Beer News visited with Hopkins Brewing owner and brewer Chad Hopkins. It’s the second, of what we hope will be many, episode of one-on-one conversations and virtual tastings with brewers, breweries, and everyday imbibers.
In the video below, you’ll hear:
- Additional tasting notes about Stonewall Sour Saison
- Notes on two other Hopkins beers — Guava Goddess Fruited Blonde Ale and Pico Rico Mexican-style Lager
- How Chad Hopkins is weathering current challenges and what to expect when Hopkins Brewing reopens to dine-in service
Hopkins Brewing Co.
- Address: 1048 E. 2100 South, Salt Lake City
- Telephone: (385) 528-3275
- Temporary to-go hours: 2-7 p.m. Wednesday-Sunday
- Social media: Facebook / Instagram / Twitter
- Learn More: Hopkins Brewing: Homegrown Brewer Living His Dream
Stonewall Sour Saison — Hopkins Brewing
Product Name: Stonewall Sour Saison
Product Description: A thirst-quenching easy-drinker for the warmer months. And at 3.6% ABV, you're welcome to have more than one. Stonewall Sour Saison features local red wheat malt from Solstice Malt, as well as flaked oats and rye. Cascade hops, coriander, and orange peel are added in the whirlpool to give the beer a lemon-zest tartness. The Saison yeast offers some funky, earthy character to a summer sipper. The sourness is subtle but it's just enough to perk up your tastebuds.
Stonewall Sour Saison by Hopkins Brewing is a 3.6% ABV easy drinker. Yet it’s still full of flavor — citrus and lemon zest qualities shine in the aroma and flavor. A slight tartness and added complexities from a saison yeast round out the beer.
- Aroma: Citrus, lemon, and a hint of earthy funk.
- Appearance: Slightly hazy copper/orange. Billowy cap of foam.
- Flavor: Notes of bright citrus (subtle orange and more pronounced lemon). Some funky earthy character from the saison yeast.
- Mouthfeel: Light-bodied with a crisp tartness.
But you don’t have to take my word for it.
Notes: The tasting notes format is adapted from a Homebrew Academy Beer Tasting Mastery course. Utah Beer News is not compensated for beers mentioned in the Tastings series unless specifically noted.