Welcome to Beer Tastings, a weekly series in which Utah Beer News highlights a particularly tasty local brew. This week, we visit Salt Lake’s newest brewery — T.F. Brewing — to taste what could be its flagship Granary Kellerbier. What are you drinking? Let us know!
Beer Tastings: Granary Kellerbier
I’m really growing to enjoy German-style lagers. Maybe it’s the season, perhaps my palate is shifting.
Or maybe it’s because I’ve come across several strong examples of non-ales recently.
Whatever the reason, the Granary Kellerbier by new-brewery-on-the-block T.F. Brewing reminds me of Saturday mornings with a bowl of cereal in hand and cartoons on the T.V.
Light bready sweetness comes through in the aroma. It’s full-on cereal/wheat toast in the flavor, with grassy hop character giving just enough bitterness to balance the sweet grains.
It pours a golden/straw color with a beautiful two-finger white head that lingers. It looks stunning in a tall, cylindrical glass etched with the T.F. Brewing logo on front and bottom.
Kevin Templin, owner and brewmaster, says he plans to brew what he likes to drink. And for him, with German heritage and four trips himself to Germany, it’s lagers. I can’t wait to taste his other creations.
- Brewery: T.F. Brewing
- ABV: 4%
- Serving Style: Draft
- Date Tasted: October 27, 2018
- Purchase Location: T.F. Brewing
T.F. Brewing: Salt Lake’s Newest Brewery
We wrote an article about T.F. Brewing ahead of its opening on Oct. 26, 2018. A buddy, my wife, and I returned the night following their grand opening to take advantage of an unseasonably warm late-October evening.
It’s definitely a comfortable spot to grab a pint or two. If you missed the original article about the Granary District’s new brewery, here are the bullet points:
- Owner and Brewmaster Kevin Templin — T.F. stands for Templin Family — spent 18 years brewing award-winning beers for Red Rock Brewing. He plans to focus on brewing German lagers at T.F.
- The brewery and bar area are gorgeous, and a spacious patio area is one of the area’s best, in my opinion
- T.F. Brewing didn’t skimp on furnishings and paid attention to every detail (proper glassware that’s beautiful — and has the T.F. logo etched in the bottom of each one)
Beer — Brewery
Product Name: Granary Kellerbier
Product Description: T.F. Brewing opened on Oct. 26, 2018 in the Granary District of Salt Lake City. Its namesake brew — Granary Kellerbier — is a flavorful lager with notes of cereal, fresh bread, and grassy hops. Templin, who spent 18 years brewing award-winning beers for Red Rock Brewing, says he plans to focus on German-style lagers at T.F. Brewing.
The Granary Kellerbier is a flavorful lager filled with notes of cereal and fresh bread in the aroma and flavor. Just enough floral hops counter the sweet grains. It pours a golden/straw color.
- Aroma: Cereal, bread
- Appearance: Golden/straw color with a substantial, lingering white head
- Flavor: Whole grain sweetness with some grassy/floral hops character
- Mouthfeel: Crisp and clean, though there’s a touch of creaminess as well, especially toward the finish
But you don’t have to take my word for it.
Notes: The tasting notes format is adapted from a Homebrew Academy Beer Tasting Mastery course I took in 2017. Utah Beer News is not compensated in any way for beers mentioned in the Tastings series.