The Utah craft beer scene is growing up. Milestone anniversaries are becoming more common. Uinta Brewing Co. celebrated 25 years last year, while Red Rock Brewery hit the mark this year. Roosters Brewing Co. will commemorate its silver anniversary in 2020.
But Squatters Craft Beers is doing those youngsters five better.
The child of the 80s is turning 30 this year, and it’s throwing a party to celebrate.
Squatters 30th-Anniversary Beer Fest is set for Sept. 8 from noon to 5 p.m. at the downtown brewpub and in the adjacent Capitol Parking Lot.
“There are very few currently operating breweries as old as ours, and to say that we’re proud to have reached this milestone is an understatement,” said Lauren Boyack, Squatters marketing manager, in a press release. “In addition to beer sampling from a dozen of Utah’s best breweries, there will be live music, food trucks, games, and for VIP ticket holders, a live recording of Radio From Hell’s ‘Not Safe for Radio’ podcast with Kerry, Bill and Gina during the event.”
Several local breweries will be joining in on the fun, with many collaborating with Squatters on special beers.
In addition, Squatters will release a Rum Barrel-Aged Doppelbock (12.3% ABV) in a 750-mL bottle. Award-winning political cartoonist Pat Bagley drew the label art — Lady Li-Beer-Ty. VIP ticket holders will receive a bottle of this limited-edition brew at the Sept. 8 event.
About Squatters Craft Beers
Jeff Polychronis and Peter Cole founded Squatters in 1989. In 2000, Squatters Craft Beers and Wasatch Brewery merged to form the Utah Brewers Cooperative. The company currently operates five full-service pubs and a brewery taproom, according to its website.
The Brewers Association in 2010 named Utah Brewers Cooperative U.S. Mid-Size Brewery of the Year.
In 2017, Squatters and Wasatch joined a group of craft brewers known collectively as CANarchy. Sister breweries include Oskar Blues Brewery, Cigar City Brewing, Perrin Brewing, Deep Ellum Brewing, and Three Weavers Brewing Company.
Ticket Prices and Details
The following are details about different ticket options, according to the Eventbrite listing. Prices below don’t include online fees:
Update: VIP tickets sold out as of Aug. 4, 2019
- General Admission ($30) includes: Entry plus (2) 4-oz. 4% ABV samples or (1) 4-oz. full-strength sample per brewery and (1) 16-oz. pint of a Squatters 4% ABV beer.
- VIP ($90) includes: Entry plus (2) 4-oz. 4% ABV samples or (1) 4-oz. full-strength sample per brewery and (1) 16-oz. pint of a Squatters 4% ABV beer in GA area. Plus a commemorative taster glass, access to Squatters Pub Brewery green room including food and (1) 16-oz. pint of 4% beer, and one bottle of Squatters 30th Anniversary Special Reserve Beer.
- VIP + Brewer’s Lounge ($105) includes: Entry plus (2) 4-oz. 4% ABV samples or (1) 40-oz. full-strength sample per brewery and (1) 16-oz. pint of a Squatters 4% ABV beer in GA area. Plus commemorative taster glass, access to Squatters Pub Brewery green room including food and (1) 16-oz. pint of 4% beer, and one bottle of Squatters 30th Anniversary Special Reserve Beer. Plus access to the Brewer’s Lounge with (3) 4-oz. high gravity samples.
Squatters 30th Anniversary: If You Go
The Sept. 8 beer fest will be held at the Squatters Brewpub, 147 W. Broadway, and in the Capitol Parking Lot adjacent to the pub. It takes place from noon to 5 p.m. and will feature beers from more than a dozen local craft breweries.
- WHERE: Squatters Pub, 147 W. Broadway. Salt Lake City, UT 84101
- DATES: Sept. 8, 2019
- TIME: 12-5 p.m.
- TICKETS: Available on Eventbrite. General admission is $30, VIP is $90, and VIP+Brewer’s Lounge is $105. Prices don’t include fees.
- INSIDER TIP: Use promo code SQUATTERS30 to get 30% off your ticket price.
- FUN FACT: Squatters Pub Brewery opened on Sept. 5, 1989.
The following breweries are scheduled to be pouring at the event, according to organizers.
- Bohemian Brewery & Grill
- Fisher Brewing Company
- Hopkins Brewing Co.
- Hoppers Grill & Brewing Co.
- Level Crossing Brewing Company
- Mountain West Hard Cider
- Proper Brewing Co
- Red Rock Brewing
- RoHa Brewing Project
- Roosters Brewing Co.
- Squatters Craft Beers
- T.F. Brewing
- Uinta Brewing
- Wasatch Brewery
Update: VIP tickets are sold out as of Aug. 4, 2019. The above information is derived from Squatters social media posts and CANarchy press releases. Squatters representatives didn’t respond to our interview requests leading up to the 30th-anniversary celebration. Photos ©Squatters.