Beer Zombies, a Las Vegas-based “craft beer lifestyle brand, brewing project, and all-around craft beer ambassador” is invading the Beehive State.
In a good way.
Beer Zombies Salt Lake City is expected to open for New Year’s Eve (5 p.m.) with a hard opening TBD. It’s part of the HallPass food hall concept at The Gateway. It, along with its sister company SkinnyFATS, will anchor the 11,000-square-foot eatery.
The complex is located street level on the south end of The Gateway, 153 S. Rio Grande Street (below the Megaplex Theaters where Happy Sumo used to be).
If you’re a subscriber to the Utah Beer News e-newsletter, you got a sneak peek earlier this month.
Chasen Mobley, beer director for SkinnyFATS, says they’ll keep 16 or so rotating craft beers on tap with plenty more available in cans and bottles (a final number TBD). He spent late November and December tasting as much Utah beer as possible.
“Quite literally, I’ve been hitting everybody up,” he says. “We like to go out, find the best of the best, and provide that for our customers. We like to rotate a lot, switch it up.”
View this post on Instagram
Spending my thanksgiving in SLC with the @hallpassslc crew! Watching games, cooking and doing some beer R&D. Been really loving everything I’ve had from @tfbrewing this Kellerbier is no exception. Delicious malty sweetness and fresh baked bread dusted with a slightly floral hop bitterness. Super crushable and tasty glad I picked up a few of these to “research” more! . . What’s your favorite SLC/Utah beer, let me here your suggestions on what to drink! Cheers, #beerzombies #tfbrewing #slcbeer #utbeer #utahbeer #pilsner #kellerbier
An Inside Look at HallPass
It’s a casual, open setting that lets diners and drinkers choose from a variety of food and beverage options.
At its opening, HallPass — all ages, though the Beer Zombies area will be 21+ — plans to include the following:
- SkinnyFATS: An award-winning Las Vegas-based eatery that advises “Live Healthy. Live Happy.” The “healthy” side of the menu features items under 600 calories. The “happy” side … well, it does not.
- Beer Zombies: A craft-beer lifestyle brand focused on offering the best of the best in beer and “good vibes” all around. It also likes to collaborate with other brewers on special brews.
- Waffadopolis: Liege waffles, crepes, and liquid nitrogen ice cream.
- Blaze of Thunder: Crispy Nashville hot fried chicken.
- Raining Ramen: Four broths and a wide variety of add-ins.
- Hibachican: Chef-driven, coursed tasting menus paired with wine and cocktails.
- CodSpeed: Fresh fish fast.
- Colossal Lobster: Maine and Connecticut rolls, lobster specials, and more.
- Guac Pusher: Made-to-order guacamole.
Bonus: The HallPass interior houses a super-exclusive, password-protected “speakeasy.”
With several distinct “concepts” within a single location, there’s always an opportunity for one to be swapped out for something new. Officials say the lineup will adapt to Utah’s tastes. So if one idea isn’t working, the HallPass folks can insert a new concept in its place.
As for Beer Zombies, the indoor/outdoor space should provide a unique addition to the Utah craft beer landscape. Keep an eye on social media for updates and give @BeerZombiesSLC a follow on Instagram.
Beer Zombies, founded in 2013, now includes a yearly festival, beer dinners, tap takeovers, and more. Here’s a highlight reel from Beer Zombies Fest 2019 in Las Vegas: