Ah, Valentine’s Day. That special time when love burns a bit brighter, flowers cost a lot more, and romance reigns. On the flip side, it’s nothing more than a Hallmark holiday designed to torment the souls of the single.
Either way, Utah’s breweries aren’t going to let Valentine’s Day go unnoticed. Whether you’re canoodling with a loved one or giving the middle finger to Cupid, why not do it with a delicious craft beer in hand?
Love Stinks … Let’s Drink!
Proper Brewing Co. is getting a jump on the weekend lovefest with an anti-Valentine’s soirée on Feb. 13.
Calling all lonely hearts, bitter cynics, or otherwise emotionally well-adjusted people who find the notion of Valentine’s Day somewhat off-putting, Proper writes.
“Join us for delicious beers and featured cocktails, a free photo booth, irreverent Valentine’s-themed crafts and food specials from Proper Burger Co.”
And if you happen to like Valentine’s Day, stop by anyway. 21+ only, the event starts at 7 p.m. on Thursday.
View this post on Instagram
We're feeling the love, but even if you're not, join us this Thursday night at 7 for our anti-Valentine's Day Valentine's Day party! Full details on our facebook page – check it out! 💔 #properbrewingco #valentinesday #nitrobeer #beerart #craftbeer #utahbeer #slc #saltlakecity #utah
Valentine’s Day & Utah Beer
Here are several Valentine’s Day beer-forward events we came across. If you know of others, feel free to send us a link or drop a line in the comments.
As always, it’s a good idea to confirm event details with individual establishments before finalizing your plans.
Beehive Pub & Grill
If Valentine’s Day finds you in Northern Utah, why not stop into The Beehive Pub & Grill in Logan? It’s offering specials through Feb. 15.
Craft by Proper
Craft by Proper isn’t messing around. It’s taking Valentine’s Day to an 11 with special rare releases of Epic Brewing beers. Specifically, Big Bad Baptist imperial stouts (and its variations). Here’s a list of what should be available:
- 2016 Big Bad Baptist, 2018 Big Bad Baptist, 2017 Big Bad Baptista, 2018 Big Bad Baptista, 2018 Quad Barrel Big Bad Baptist, 2018 Quintuple Barrel Big Bad Baptist, 2019 Peanut Butter Big Bad Baptist, 2019 Big Bad Baptist Reserve
The Big Bad Valentine’s extravaganza starts when Craft by Proper opens at 4 p.m. on Friday. Plus, free Ruby Snap cookies will be available, while supplies last. 21+ only.
Hopkins Brewing Co.
If you love small-batch beers (and who doesn’t?), the fine folks at Hopkins Brewing are offering a handful on Friday. It’s part of the Sugar House brewery’s every-other-Friday small-batch release.
Here’s what brewer Chad Hopkins plans to have on tap for Valentine’s Day, with his notes:
- Tropkveik Pale Ale: Brewed with a tropical hop blend and kveik yeast
- The Woodsman: Brewed with vanilla and oak chips for a barrel-aged flavor.
- Hallertau Blanc Hefe: Traditional-style German Weissbier featuring Hallertau Blanc hops. These hops have fruity notes as well as grapes and lemongrass.
- Rosemary “Lady in White:” Brewed with coriander, orange peel, and rosemary. This Belgian White is inspired by the alleged apparition that haunts our brewery after hours. We’ve only heard stories so far, mainly being a lady in a white dress.
- Hopped-Up Brown: India Brown Ale style featuring a complex chocolate and caramel body with a heavy hand of hops. Dry-hopped with Citra.
- Mint Chocolate Chip Blonde: Blonde ale features a pleasant blend of fresh mint leaves and chocolate.
- Red Velvet Amber: Brewed with lactose, chocolate, vanilla, and beets. This red-hued amber is inspired by the decadent dessert, Red Velvet Cake.
- “Shuck It” Oyster Stout: Brewed with oysters, coffee, and chocolate. This rich stout is salty upfront with roasted dark chocolate notes and a slight hint of coffee at the end.
Policy Kings Brewery
Cedar City’s Policy Kings Brewery will be celebrating Valentine’s Day with a dessert special on Friday. Get four cheesecake-stuffed strawberries, two glasses of champagne, and a rose for $12.
Drink a couple of beers, enjoy a sweet treat, and don’t forget to check out the rad new wall art. 21+ only.
Red Rock Brewery
Red Rock Brewery is breaking into its cellar to release its 2017 Rêve Belgian Tripel on Friday only. And only at its downtown Salt Lake pub, 254 S. 200 West, for consumption on-site.
Rêve is 10.3% ABV and delivered in a 750ml bottle. So, bring a date, eh?
Valentine’s Day only, 2017 Rêve brought up from our cellar. Available at our downtown location only while supplies last 💕
Toasted Barrel Brewery
Festivities kick off at 5 p.m. and revelers will enjoy chocolate and cheese pairings, as well as alcohol-infused cupcakes. The brewery collaborated with The Chocolate Conspiracy and Sweet Vinyl BakeShop. All that sounds like it will go well with one of Toasted Barrel’s many sour offerings (or its new small-batch Juicy Double IPA released on Thursday). 21+ only.
Beer, chocolate, cheese, and cupcakes, now that’s pure love. Special event this Friday at the brewery. Please join us…
For the Love of Beer
I’m sure plenty of other breweries around town will be in the holiday (or anti-holiday) spirit this weekend. No matter where you go, be safe and enjoy drinking local, independent craft beer.