Welcome to Beer Tastings, a series in which Utah Beer News highlights an interesting (and tasty) local brew. This time: Peaches & Steam from Red Rock Brewing. What are you drinking? Let us know!
Beer Tastings: Peaches & Steam
I always like when local breweries, from time to time, break away from the norm and take a chance. Red Rock Brewing’s just-released Peaches & Steam “California Common” style beer seems to be doing just that.
The hybrid beer utilizes experimental hops, local Solstice Malt and a lager yeast fermented at ale temperatures. Oh, and did we mention peaches?
It pours a medium copper with an off-white, silky-smooth cap of foam. Peach and some biscuit are present in the aroma. Flavors of stone fruit — yes, peaches, but I also pick up some apricot — and toasty malts.
A touch of bitterness and some nice tropical hops character toward the end make Peaches & Steam a nice 4% ABV sipper.
It’s described as a California Common style on the label because Anchor Brewing holds the trademark to “steam” beer. The term “applies only to the singular process and taste of our flagship brand — San Francisco’s original Anchor Steam® Beer,” according to the Anchor Brewing website.
- Brewery: Red Rock Brewing
- ABV: 4%
- Serving Style: Bottle (500 mL)
- Date Tasted: February 3, 2019
- Purchase Location: Red Rock Beer Store
Peaches & Steam — Red Rock Brewing
Product Name: Peaches & Steam
Product Description: From Red Rock: Peaches and Steam uses experimental hops, peaches and local Solstice Malt to make this easy-drinking flavored beer that finishes with big, juicy notes of peaches, robust malt and tropical hops.
An easy-drinking, 4% beer that isn’t overpowering with peach. Toasty malt characteristics (from local Solstice Malt) nicely balance the stone/tropical fruit hop character.
- Aroma: Pleasant peach with some biscuit
- Appearance: Medium copper with an off-white silky smooth cap of foam
- Flavor: Stone fruit — peach, obviously, but I also picked up a hint of apricot; juicy, biscuit/toasty malts come through
- Mouthfeel: A sparkling-soda quality that enhances the peach flavor
But you don’t have to take my word for it.